The Association "BIMBINTIN, piccoli bimbi grandi sogni” (BIMBINTIN, tiny babies big dreams) – a non-profit organization of social utility - is pleased to announce a Apulia to NORDKAPP 4000 km for our kids fundraising initiative, promoted in
cooperation with the Scientific Committee of the Association, directed by dr. Flavia Petrillo, a neonatologist at the NICU of the Di Venere Hospital of Bari, directed by Dr. A. Del Vecchio, and with Mr. Nuccio Lamorgese, professional nurse at the same NICU.
Apulia to NORDKAPP 4000 km for our kids
The aim of our fund-raising is the purchasing of a latest generation neonatal resuscitation bed.
Such a bed can be placed close to the mother during either spontaneous or cesarean delivery, thus allowing mother and baby to remain joined through the umbilical cord for a few seconds or minutes after birth, hence creating the optimal conditions for stabilization of the premature.
As a support to the project, nurse Nuccio Lamorgese will perform a feat, riding a bike from Bari to North Cape. A journey of about 4,000 km has been planned, with a daily mileage of 150/200 km, to be covered over a period of about a month. Nuccio will travel alone and totally self-sufficient, as his equipment includes camping tent, camp stove, frozen / dried food and more.
Nuccio will have his own satellite locator (SPOTGEN3) that will allow anyone to follow him at any time
BIMBINTIN was born within the TIN (Neonatal Internsive Care) Unit of the Di Venere Hospital in Bari, as a direct consequence of the will expressed over time by parents, users of the services, to create an organization that would enhance the experience of mothers and fathers who had to care for their babies while at the hospital ward.
The association was born on 17th october, 2017 thanks to a group of parents who make up the Board of Directors: Fonte D'Accolti (president), Isabella Tursi (vice president), Giuseppe Cornacchia (treasurer), Tiziana Pepe (councilor), Luisa D ' Aniello (secretary). The Board collaborates closely with the Association’s scientific committee, directed by dr. Flavia Petrillo and constituted by a group of health workers of the NICU of the Di Venere hospital directed by dr. A. Del Vecchio: dr. Caterina Franco, nurse Burdi Teresa, nurse Dentico Domenico, nurse Caterina Ferri, nurse Biagina Marzano.
The purpose of the association is to support children and their parents in the difficult process that a premature or complicated birth can entail.
In particular, the association promotes:
- initiatives to improve assistance and care for young patients
- The organization of support actions for the parents and relatives of hospitalized patients
- Information and public awareness campaigns on premature birth and neonatal pathologies
- The rights of newborns and their parents. In particular, it will promote the adoption of the card of the rights of prematurely-born babies as a document to be integrated within the statute of Regione Puglia
- Research in neonatology
- Initiatives aimed at improving the technical and professional training of the staff dedicated to the care of the critical newborn
- the implementation of initiatives for the enhancement and improvement of the facilities and equipment for the treatment of such patients